10 Things you dint know about Mzee Ojwang Hatari
1. He was born Benson Wanjau in
1937 in then Nyeri district.
2. As a pupil at CMS primary in
Pumwani, Nairobi, Mzee Ojwang’s
favourite subject was mathematics.
3. He dropped out of Form Two due
to financial constraints.
4. He is married to Augusta Wanjiru
and together they have two children
–Patricia Njeri and Michael Karira.
5. His family and that of Mama
Kayai (Mary Khavere) are good
friends in real life.
6. Mzee Ojwang worked as a
technician at Mater Hospital for four
years. Before then, he had worked
at White Rose Dry Cleaners in
7. He started acting for Darubini on
Voice of Kenya (now Kenya
Broadcasting Corporation) in 1980.
The programme was discontinued in
1985 when Vitimbi started airing.
8. Mzee Ojwang’ has never spoken
Dholuo despite the accent while on
9. The stage name Ojwang’ came
from a “good friend” of the
comedian who upon retiring asked
him not to forget him.