• The Premier League side have lost their two previous knockout ties against Barcelona, who won in England at this stage of the competition
in both 2014 and 2015.
• Arsenal came from behind to beat Barcelona 2-1 when the teams last met in London in the 2010/11 round of 16, Robin van Persie
and Andrey Arshavin overturning David Villa’s first-half goal.
• Barcelona recovered with a 3-1 second-leg success in which Lionel Messi scored twice. Sergio Busquets had briefly given Arsenal hope
with an own goal that made it 1-1.
• The lineups for the first leg at Arsenal on 16 February 2011 were:
Arsenal: Szczęsny, Eboué, Koscielny, Djourou, Clichy, Song (Arshavin 68), Wilshere, Fàbregas, Nasri, Walcott (Bendtner 77), Van Persie.
Barcelona : Valdés, Dani Alves, Piqué, Abidal, Maxwell, Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta (Adriano 89), Pedro, Messi, Villa (Keita 68).
• The previous season Messi had scored all four Barcelona goals in a 4-1 second-leg quarter-final triumph over Arsenal . Arsène Wenger’s men had given themselves hope in the first leg by coming from two goals down to draw 2-2 through Theo Walcott and Cesc Fàbregas
• Barcelona beat Arsenal 2-1 in the 2006 final at Stade de France with Samuel Eto’o and Juliano Belletti scoring late on to overturn Sol Campbell’s strike for an Arsenal side reduced to ten men by the first-half dismissal of Jens Lehmann.
• Luis Enrique scored in both matches when the clubs met in the 1999/2000 first group stage. The Barcelona coach found the net in his side’s 1-1 draw at the Camp Nou and again in a 4-2 win at Wembley.
• The Gunners are looking to reach the quarter-finals for the first time since 2010.
• They reached the knockout stage for the 16th season running thanks to a 3-0 win at Olympiacos FC on 9 December. They had lost three of their first four group games but finished as group runners-up thanks to a superior head-to-head record against Olympiacos.
• Arsenal lost the first leg at home in each of their three previous last-16 ties – against FC Bayern München (2013 , 2014 ) and AS Monaco FC (2015 ).
• Arsenal’s home record against Liga opposition is W8 D3 L2.
• Arsenal won five of their eight previous two-legged ties against Spanish clubs in UEFA competition. Their last success was a 4-1
aggregate quarter-final victory over Villarreal CF in 2008/09.
• Aside from the 2006 loss to Barcelona, Arsenal have also lost European finals against Real Zaragoza (1995 European Cup Winners’
Cup) and Valencia CF (1980 European Cup Winners’ Cup).